05 August 2010

Things Bloggers Do #4

4.  Get sucked into the blogging vortex

I dare you to sit down at your computer to do something without typing in blogger.com. Go on, exit out of this post and just sit there. Read your email, check a little Craigslist, but DON’T type in the name of a blog, blogger.com or anything in any form of one..

Do you find it easier to lick your bathroom floor? You’re not alone. I’m right there with you. What is it about blogland that is so incredibly addicting? Those of us who fall into this category suffer from what I like to call ADBD. Attention deficit blogging disorder.



I have a fever, and the only cure for that fever is to look at blogs until my eyeballs fall out or my butt skin actually grows around my chair. Thank goodness I’m married or I would honestly look like the guy at the end of Indiana Jones 3 I’d be at the computer so long.




I submit that you can not look at one blog without wanting to click another. I usually end up on one blog after about 2 hours and wonder “HOW DID I GET HERE?!”



My bedtime has two enemies. Their names are “Older Posts” and “My Favorite Blogs.” How do you not click those?

WAYS TO TELL IF YOU HAVE ADBD

-  You absolutely have to check google reader before bedtime

-  Sometimes when you read magazines, you wish they had a follow button

-  You can't remember how many blogs you read per day

-  You can't remember your own blog after you're done

-  You get mad at your husband when he doesn't understand what blog you're referring to at the dinner table

-  If you go on vacation, you panic thinking about how much blog catching up you'll be doing once you get home

-  Your children are malnourished

-  You laugh and pity the people around you who don't know what a blog is...they're so not in the "in" crowd.  Shun them.

-  Your husband has to say things like "hey come look at this great opportunity for a blog post" for you to pay attention to him.

I better stop now, my dog has been whining at me to let him out for the past 3 days....I guess he needs to go or something.  Doesn't he realize he's infringing on blogtime?






26 comments:

Samantha2818 said...

I so suffer from ADBD! Before my son goes to school I ask him to turn the computer on for me every day just so I can have a quick look before leaving to take my daughter to school (she's late most days!). At night no matter what time I go to bed my computer stays on until I go up the stairs.
I also sneak a look at work throughout the day - that can't be a sackable offence right?!
x

Unknown said...

Vacations! That's so difficult.
You know I have ADBD for sure.
Enjoy your weekend coming up.
KarenSue

Katherine Michael said...

HA! That's hilarious! I'm new to being sucked into blog land and pretty much have every single one of the ADBD symptoms!

Ms. Bake-it said...

Oh yeah... I so suffer from ADBD! I really get annoyed when work infringes upon my blog reading... ;)

Sarah said...

ha ha you are so hilarious. We should be sense of humor sisters. Even though I am married I'm afraid i'm starting to look like that old guy from all the blogging. I absolutely love these posts!

lifeshighway said...

oh oh, I suffer from ADBD. I just came back from vacation. I had entries set up to post, a back up guest blogger and was desperately checking my phone during my "get away" time for any kind of signal. I also suggest we drive out of the mountain to get a signal.

Hilarious entry.

Erin Wallace said...

I am so with you on this one! I follow an Amazing number of blogs - it's not unusual for me to have >200 new posts several times a day. At some point, I look up from my computer and realize that I have a family to take care of and this sort of makes me stop (sort of since I still want to read!). I'm so happy there are others like me!!

xo Erin

Lauren said...

I think I have this disorder.

P.S. I loooove the Avett Brothers, I met them a few months ago, so nice! And pretty easy on the eyes.

Angela said...

So-ooo, what's your point? Oh, are you saying that's a bad thing? I personally don't think it is, but my husband HAS made a few unfavorable remarks.

April said...

Disgustingly true. I find that job searching and apartment hunting infringe on blog time. So not fair.

Megan said...

Funny. And true. You could also cover the over-use of the word 'nest' and 'guest blogging' - two things that make me chuckle.

Lisa said...

Oh I have it, too. I always wish I could click on pictures to enlarge them in magazines!

laura @ so alaurable said...

Yup, I totally have ADBD. Why can't catching up on blogs be my full-time job? I would be sooo good at it!

Four Flights said...

this is so true. So sadly true ;)

ourthreesons said...

I'm not a blogger, but just about everything else fits! First thing I do in the morning, and the last thing I do at night is check google reader, well, that and the evil FB. You hit the nail on the head with the vacation comment! Oh. my. word. I was away for 4 days and I don't even want to tell you how many unread items I had waiting for me. Pathetic.

gretchen said...

oh, way too true...
but i keep reminding myself it could be something MUCH worse that sitting here....
couldn't it?!?

now i'm going to have to go to facebook and click your like button, too!

The Little Red Shop said...

Okay, so before putting in a movie (I actually put Netflix on hold today...because who has time for movies...and tv...when there is blogging to be done?)...I hopped over to see what was happening on Twitter & Facebook..and saw a link to your post. Cross-eyed from staying up until the wee hours this morning...blog posting, of course, I read one specific sentence like this, "I have a fever, and the only cure for that fever is to look at blogs until my eyeballs fall out of my butt!"

Nice right?

: )

Julie M. (who actually has a twenty pound cat lounging on top of her head...because her computer is on her lap)

Deb's mind said...

Hahahaha......geez you are describing me to a tee!! And OMG...I am new to blogging. It is my guilty pleasure...and yes I am PROUD to be addicted. I just started my own blog. www.amindondesign.com

Kate Dickerson, C'est si Bon! La Joie de Vivre! said...

You are so funny - and so right on the mark! Glad I discovered YOUR blog to add to my obsession!

Beth@The Stories of A to Z said...

Layla shared this post on her Facebook page and I made my way over here. Hilarious and so, so true! I especially love "- You get mad at your husband when he doesn't understand what blog you're referring to at the dinner table." I am always saying blog names to Hubs and he looks wide-eyed and just blinks. It drives me insane. :)

fawn said...

I totally suffer from ADBD.

SHERRY HART said...

Count me in....I am right there with the crowd....Sherry

Anonymous said...

i am new at this. i don' have a blog but i look at everyone else's every night. well not EVERYONE elses, but u know what i mean. I am not even sure this comment will post coz i probaby have to be a follower. i shall click and see what happens. if u read it, it worked. :)

Robyn said...

I wish I could make money from reading blogs. I'd love to tell people, when they ask what I do, "I read blogs all day!" ...and it actually be a good thing.

PaisleyJade said...

hahaha - I am so one of those people! My husband hates me for it!

Jaclyn Beith said...

You have so hit the nail on the head! :)